Come spring, every year around holi, mom and I prepare a huge batch of Thandai powder. Thandai by definition is something cooling. Its a mixture of ingredients that help you replenish your salts and sugars after a hot day in the sun. Two things that I enjoy making with Thandai is Thandai cake and a Thandai Lassi.
But first the Thandai powder:
1 tbsp Almonds
1/2 tbsp Fennel seeds
1 tbsp Watermellon seeds seeds
1/2 Khus/ poppy seeds
1 tsp Black pepper whole
15 pods whole cardamom
1tbsp dried rose petals
Blend together well in a mixie and store in an airtight container in the freezer. Use all summer long.
This cake is a lovely eggless cake which I have been baking on Holi day. Its a great substitute to deep fried gujiyas and an absolute novel idea when presented well.
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour (maida)
1 cup yogurt( room temp)
4 tbsp milk
6tbsp homemade Thandai powder
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup refined oil
2 cardomom pods coarsly powdered
1 tsp dehydrated rose petals (opt)
1/4 cup chopped nuts( almonds and pistachios)
6-7 saffron threads
1/2 tsp rose water
A few sliced pistachios and rose petals for topping
- Preheat oven to 200C. Sift the refined flour and keep aside
- Whisk together yogurt, milk, thandai powder, saffron, sugar, rose water and cardamom powder till creamy
- Sprinkle baking soda and baking powder, gently mix and leave aside for 2-3 mins
- Once the mixture turns frothy mix in oil
- Gently fold in the sifted flour (make sure not to overmix)
- Mix in the petals and nuts .Pour in a greased and dusted 8" pan sprinkle the sliced pistachios and petals on top and bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 10 mins
- Reduce the temp to 180 and further bake for 30-35 mins or till the toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean
- Cool for 35- 40 mins unmold, slice , sprinkle some powdered sugar, chopped rose petals and serve
1tbsp Thandai powder
1 cup yogurt
1 cup milk
honey or sugar according to taste
5-6 ice cubes
Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend till all the ice is crushed and we have a frothy mixture.
Pour in a tall glass. Enjoy a glass of thandai lassi when you come home from the hot summer sun.